What is eMentoring?
A chance for current Aberystwyth university students, alumni and career professionals to give and receive advice in an online mentoring set-up.
This could be anything from a one-off email to longer interactions as students and early career graduates plan and navigate their career options. Mentors can offer:
- advice via email
- feedback on CVs and application forms
- valuable insight into a specific career
- visiting a mentor’s place of work
- opportunities for work shadowing/experience
*Please note our eMentoring platform has recently been upgraded and you may continue to notice a few changes in the appearance of the platform whilst we await final updates*
Thomas Cottrell, Geography Graduate, Senior Advisor West Sussex County Council, Mentor
After graduating in 2014 Thomas joined a graduate training scheme with West Sussex County Council, he is now a Senior Advisor in Organisational Psychology and Effectiveness. “I would be more than happy to give advice on what life is like working in the Public Sector, how I got from Geography into HR and I can offer you support throughout the many application stages for jobs. Having gone through it myself recently I know how scary and confusing it can be. The multiple skills I learnt during my time at Aber uni have had a big impact on my ability to do my job on a day to day basis, skills such as data analysis and the ability to deliver presentations or facilitate workshops.”
Making the most of eMentoring
You might be a current student at Aberystwyth University, an early career or experienced graduate – eMentoring offers many opportunities for you whatever stage you’re at.
Aberystwyth’s e-mentoring scheme can help students and graduates build their networks and expand their opportunities. Need a helpful contact in a particular industry? You can search the mentor profiles by profession, interests and location, allowing you to build a supportive network quickly and easily.
However you fit into the Aberystwyth University community - whether as a current student, an experienced graduate or a career professional or entrepreneur - a mentoring relationship can have many benefits. Whether you’re looking for guidance, facing a challenging time in your career, looking to add a new skill to your CV or an opportunity to share the benefit of your experience, you will find many positive benefits to this exclusive service for alumni and students of Aberystwyth University.
Mentees (Aber students)
- Build a network to help you reach that first step of the career ladder
- Expand your career horizons and look at what experienced Aber grads have gone on to do
- Get the advice, support and understanding of someone who has been where you are right now
- All from the safety and security of your laptop/mobile phone
When you join the Aberystwyth eMentoring scheme you gain insights and connections that can help make your career ideas and plans a reality. Your mentor will share advice and personal experiences, offering you a personal connection to what you can expect from life after Aber. You’ll gain experience, build your confidence, make connections and find a whole new perspective on the possibilities open to you after graduation.
Benefits for the mentee
- One to one support from an experienced professional
- An opportunity to network and build contacts within an industry
- Gaining an insight into your chosen industry or career
- Help in recognising your own abilities and limitations in relation to your career ideas and in highlighting areas for development
- Development of specialist skills
- Development of employability skills
- Practical advice on job search techniques and skills
For further details please see our leaflet Mentee Guidelines or contact email@example.com
Interested in becoming a Mentor? Take a look at our page on Mentors to find out more!