English & Creative Writing
If you love living in a world of imagination and creativity, studying English and Creative Writing is sure to be right up your street. If Literature is what appeals to you most, join us to explore the widest possible range of literary texts and cultures with superb choice from the early medieval period to the present day. If Creative Writing is more your thing, come and learn the craft of writing poetry, fiction, non-fiction, screenplays and more. You can even combine the two.
Perhaps the use of language is something that particularly interests you, in which case choose English Studies with one of the available combinations - Climate Change or TESOL. You will gain a thorough and critical understanding of the ideological debates that shape the ways we read and write, challenge our perceptions of the places we read and write about, and interrogate who we are.
Whichever path you choose, you will develop your own powers of expression, hone your critical thinking, and establish specialist knowledge and research skills - all grounded in a detailed and broad understanding of literary history and an applied knowledge of literary theory.
Why study English & Creative Writing at Aberystwyth University?
- You will be immersed in a supportive and vibrant community of creative and critical thinkers, literary experts, and published authors from every field.
- Our staff are distinguished practising writers and published authors across a broad spectrum of literary genres, and world leaders in their fields of expertise.
- You will have opportunities to engage with a wide variety of approaches to literature and cultural history, combining critical thinking with scholarship.
- You will explore literary theory - philosophical and conceptual ideas that inform, challenge and problematise the ways we read.
- You will be encouraged to develop your creative and critical writing skills and to expand your range and capabilities as a writer to enable you to work confidently in a variety of forms and genres. You will join a close-knit community of students and staff in a place full of energy and new ideas, and have the opportunity to work with other young people who are passionate about English in all its forms.
- You will be surrounded by stunning landscape and are sure to take inspiration for your academic journey from the natural beauty that is all around.
- If you study Creative Writing, you will have the opportunity to take part in a writing retreat at a country house in mid Wales in your final year - an amazing opportunity to spend time with fellow students and staff, developing your final year projects and dissertations, in a splendid rural setting.
A degree in English Literature or Creative Writing is the 'gold standard' for any employment setting where communication is valued. By studying various genres and styles, writing forms and techniques, you will develop a range of competencies and capabilities, skills and attributes that are widely sought by employers, placing you in a strong position for gaining work when you graduate.
Our exciting degree schemes are relevant to the workplace and are highly regarded by employers. Our teaching will equip you with key skills that enable you to build a comprehensive CV that evidences your diverse range of competencies - all supported by the expertise of our Careers Service.
Our students have gone on to develop careers across a broad range of highly sought-after graduate destinations. Recent graduates have signed to some of the UK’s major literary agents and have published with some of the world’s most prestigious publishing houses, including Faber & Faber and Penguin. With a degree in one of our subjects becoming the next bestselling author is not your only option. Our graduates can be found in virtually every sector, from local government to finance, from education to new media journalism - there is no limit to where a degree in English or Creative Writing could take you.
When you study with us, you will be part of a teaching and learning environment that is driven by world-class research. All our staff are active researchers in their fields and throughout your studies you will be taught by some of the UK’s leading scholars in creative writing and literary studies.
Our research forms the basis of our teaching and our research interests are as broad and dynamic as our curriculum. You will be taught by the people who write the books on the subjects you are learning about, by the people who wrote the poetry, novels, short stories, non-fiction, scripts, and graphic novels that you read, and by the scholars who analyse and interrogate such works.
We draw upon an extensive network of national and global connections and collaborations, working with academics and creative practitioners from around the world on exciting and innovative projects.
Study or Work Abroad
Aberystwyth University offers every student the opportunity to study, volunteer or work in another country either for an academic year, a single semester, or a few weeks during your holidays.
Find more information on our Global Opportunities webpages.
Studying through the medium of Welsh
Aberystwyth University prides itself on being a bilingual University. As a leading Welsh university, we are proud to offer dedicated support services and Halls of Residence for Welsh-speaking students, encouraging the sense of community and the feeling of a home away from home. Qualifying students will automatically receive the University's Welsh-medium scholarships and can also apply for Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol scholarships. Find out more about our Welsh Medium Scholarships here.