Take a look at upcoming and past virtual events from across Aberystwyth University that are open to our alumni community.
- On Friday 24 September, the tenth Annual Waldo Williams Lecture takes place online. Co-organised by Cymdeithas Waldo Society and Aberystwyth University’s Department of Welsh and Celtic Studies, this year acclaimed poet Ceri Wyn Jones will deliver a lecture entitled ‘Helbul Hunan’: Waldo, Barddoniaeth a Iechyd a Lles (‘Red Storms of Life’: Waldo, Poetry and Health and Wellbeing). Tickets for the event are available here.
From the College by the Sea to the College on the Hill – with a few stops along the way
Thursday 14 October 6pm
Within a few years of its founding in 1872 the demand for student places at the University College of Wales was increasing year by year and the College authorities soon realised that the former Castle Hotel on Aberystwyth’s seafront was not large enough for its needs. But hemmed in by the sea, Saint Michael’s Church, the castle and residential and commercial properties, where could it go if it was to expand and survive? Some temporary buildings around the town became more permanent accommodation as periods of economic depression, two world wars, austerity and high inflation made expansion and building modern purpose-built accommodation more difficult. But with the extraordinary support of its old students and other generous benefactors – and one or two central government grants – the College not only survived but grew and flourished. This is the story of how the College by the Sea became the College on the Hill.
Registration details to follow
- When Aberystwyth Hosted an International Peace Congress
In the Summer of 1926, when great cities of Europe felt that they weren’t capable of hosting a League of Nations peace congress, Aberystwyth stepped into the breach, under the leadership of David Davies, Llandinam. This is an opportunity to hear the story of the circumstances that led to Aberystwyth saving the day.
Click here to view recording.
- Tales of the Unexpected: sharing stories from the University Archive. Following on from the recent Objects of Abership highlighting the work underway into researching our history and collections, it’s now time to take a peek into the University Archive. We’ll look at some of the people and events that have been brought to light, and to life, by items in the collection. Click here to view recording.
- The Making of Agnieszka Holland's Mr. Jones.
A Talk with Screenwriter-Producer Andrea Chalupa about bringing welsh journalist Gareth Jones to film. Click here to view recording.
- Objects of Abership with Cara Cullen and Julie Archer.
Hear about Aberystwyth University’s research into its History and Collections for the exciting new galleries at Old College. Click here to view recording.
- Dr Calista Williams, history of the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth’s fundraising expedition to North America, 1890. Click here to view recording.