Skilled worker (formerly Tier 2)

Students on a Student or Tier 4 visa are able to switch to a Skilled worker visa in the UK if they meet the following requirements:

  • Have valid Student or Tier 4 visa that has not expired
  • Have a certificate of sponsorship issued by a Home Office approved employer
  • Have £1,270 in savings in your bank account for 90 days before you apply, or confirmation from your sponsor that they can provide the funds to you

You can stay in the UK for up to 5 years after switching to a Tier 2 visa.  

If you are unsure whether you can switch from your Student visa to a Skilled worker visa, please contact the International Student Adviser who will be able to provide you with advice.

Information on applying for a Skilled worker visa is available from GOV.UK pages.