Sport and Exercise Science - IBERS
What will I gain from my subject?
As a first step you should look at the programme specification for your subject which will provide insights into the skills and competences developed through your degree programme. Sport and exercise science combines a study of biomechanics, physiology, psychology and nutrition. It develops a large number of transferable skills including communication both oral and written, effective problem solving, project management, research along with data analysis, initiative, time management and information technology.
What can I do with my subject?
Examples of careers taken up include: clinical cardiac physiologist, exercise physiologist, sports dietitian, personal trainer, health promotion specialist, junior sports agent, qualified teacher, local government sport development officer and researcher. About a third of graduates in this discipline will go on to postgraduate study.
- The Prospects website has links on career options with different degrees which is worth exploring
Useful Careers Websites
Lists jobs in sport and exercise sciences.
- www.careers-in-sport.co.ukThe Careers in Sport guide provides an in-depth analysis of the different career options available in the world of sport. Having interviewed people from all different facets of the sports industry to increase your understanding of the opportunities available, providing helpful advice on the qualifications and experience required for a career in sport.
Careerjet is an employment search engine for the UK. It allows you to search a growing selection of jobs listed on company sites as well as jobsites in one go saving you the trouble of having to go to each site individually.
Lists the job opportunities within the NHS, so mainly for those interested in a clinical career.
Caters for all positions and studentships within higher education. Has an easy to use search engine, as well as e-mail updates on job openings. Also includes profiles of potential employers.
A website for those wanting to work in the leisure and fitness industry. Includes job listing for all the major health clubs and gyms, as well as information on obtaining the correct training to get into the leisure industry.
Recruitment website for people looking for jobs in the leisure industry; including health and fitness, sport and spa.
- www.lifecoach-directory.org.ukThe purpose of the site is ultimately to provide the UK with a huge life coach support network, enabling individuals to find a life coach close to them and appropriate for their needs. This is a free, confidential service that will help those seeking a new direction in their life to find the encouragement they need. Every life coach on the site who has a full profile has either sent a copy of their qualifications and insurance cover, or is registered with a professional body with recognised codes of ethics and practice, ensuring their professionalism.
- www.prospects.co.uk or www.prospects.ac.uk
This website provides lots of information on tips for job seeking, postgraduate options and careers open days.
Advertises jobs in sport.
The Association for Physical Education.
A website for those interested in teaching. Includes a UK job search for teaching positions.
Caters mainly for teachers but there are job listings for those wishing to go into lecturing in further and higher education.
Advertises jobs in elite level sport and has a useful e-mail newsletter for the latest developments in elite sport.
Speed Up Career - Information on career options, personality development, tips on work & job related issues.
Graduate Recruitment Bureau, a leading graduate recruitment consultancy in the UK. The website features work experience, internships and graduate job opportunities.
Lists over 50 different careers available in football.
Trovit provides a full and complete list of job ads published in thousands of classified websites which allows users to save time and effort during their search for Jobs by showing the most interesting and relevant job offers in one page. Its a leading search engine in Europe and Latin America and currently operating in 43 countries.
- http://www.pure-jobs.com is a job board for searching local and international jobs and internships with over 100,000 job descriptions.
- Inspiring Interns
Inspiring Interns is a graduate recruitment agency, connecting graduates to the best employers UK-wide. Check out the sports section of their job listings for graduate jobs and internships across Sports and Fitness, with a focus on sports marketing and operations.
Internships and work placements with graduate-jobs.com are a great way to gain relevant work experience and skills. Lists entry level management roles across a wide range of sectors including sports and recreation, banking and marketing in London.
- Public Health Wales includes National Exercise Referral Scheme (NERS)
- Activity Alliance - Disability Inclusion Sport
Professional bodies and associations
These organisations promote the interests of people working in particular professions. Some have listings of employers who are members of the association and may advertise jobs while others may be a useful source of information when researching employers for applications or considering a speculative application.
- The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity
- Institute for Outdoor Learning
What do Aber graduates do?
Each year Aberystwyth University conducts a survey required by the UK government of graduate destinations in order to find out what they are doing. Below are examples of roles our Sport and Exercise Science graduates have moved into:
- Assistant Teacher
- Gym Instructor
- Recruitment Consultant
- Self Employed Personal Trainer
- Self Employed Swimming Teacher
- Sports Centre Marketing and Engagement Project Officer
- Strength and Conditioning Intern